Date: 4th March 2008 at 10:21pm
Written by:

Swindon Town took a 3-0 lead into half time thanks to goals from Billy Paynter and Craig Easton before the referee ruined an otherwise good game. Swindon Town got off to the best possible start when Billy Paynter converted a Simon Cox pass on 4 minutes to give the home side a 1-0 lead.

Town would add to their lead 19 minutes later when Craig Easton slotted home an Anthony McNamee pass to make it 2-0. Town had found their scoring shoes.

For the 6,000 or so fans who decided to stay home in the warm and not support their club after watching the club lose against Leeds Saturday, Swindon extended their lead to 3-0 giving the team a dream start after Craig Easton scored his second of the game.

Just before half time, Huddersfield would be given a penalty on a dodgy decision by a referee who would certainly leave his mark in the second half.

Former Bristol City man slotted home the penalty for Huddersfield to cut Swindon’s lead to 3-1 heading into half time.

Sadly the second half, Town couldn’t add to their lead however referee Ray Lee decided that he wanted to make the headlines and showed Lee Peacock a straight red for a challenge on Malvin Kamara which left Swindon with 10 men.

Swindon boss Maurice Malpas decided to take off Simon Cox despite Billy Paynter already losing patience with the referee. It was almost inevitable that Paynter would be sent off at this stage due to the referees incompetence however Cox was replaced by JP McGovern.

Minutes later Huddersfield were given another penalty thanks to Billy Paynter handballing the ball onto the top of the goal. Phil Jevons scored his second of the game and Billy Paynter saw red, leaving Swindon with 9 men.

The crowd was fuming. The strangeness of this game continued when Moses Ashikodi came on to give Town a new attacking option only for Ashikodi to stand around doing pretty much nothing the whole time he was on the pitch. We are not sure if Malpas was just wasting time or thought Moses was doing nothing on the pitch but Malpas took Moses off the pitch on the 93rd minute and replaced him with the faster Christian Roberts.

Swindon Town would hold out for the 3-2 win and move up to 12th in League One which will surely send the worst referee at the County Ground ever in our opinion home upset. Mr. Ray did everything possible to try and ensure Swindon did not win the game however the guts and determination of Swindon was too much for Huddersfield.