Date: 11th March 2009 at 9:56am
Written by:

Swindon Town fall deeper into a relegation battle after losing 3-2 away to Colchester at the Weston Community Homes Stadium Tuesday night.

Town got off to the worse possible start. Within 2 minutes Clive Platt gave the home team the lead by heading Simon Hackney’s cross into the net in front of the Swindon fans who were thinking “not again” after a calamity of defensive errors.

For the first 25 minutes Town appeared to be disorganised and without any sort of idea where they were supposed to be.

After 25 minutes Town got into the game and were awarded a penalty on 38 minutes after Billy Paynter was tripped by Chris Coyne. Cox would calmly convert the penalty to make it 1-1.

The game appeared to be heading for a dead lock heading into half time until Clive Platt scored his second of the game on 45 minutes after converting Kem Izzet’s ball that was softly kicked into the box after Town keeper Peter Brezovan failed to clear the ball properly. The home team went into half time up 2-1.

HT: Colchester United 2 – Swindon Town 1

Town came out for the second half unchanged. Town looked shaky at the back for most of the game but had several chances to equalise including 2 shots from the poor Michael Timlin, which we are still waiting for them to land.

Swindon finally got their well deserved equaliser after Hal Robson-Kanu converted a poorly cleared ball from Colchester to make things 2-2, giving Town fans hope that a draw or a late winner was on the cards.

Town fans raised the volume a bit getting behind the team however the game was over on 71 minutes after David Perkins slammed home another poorly cleared Swindon ball to make it 3-2 to Colchester. Town would bring on Mark Marshall in place of Hal Robson-Kanu to try and add a bit more pace against a tiring side but Marshall struggled to get into the game.

The referee indicated 3 minutes added time were to play. Swindon boss Danny Wilson would bring on Hamdi Razak to try and nick a last minute equaliser however it was in vain. Razak had one touch of the ball and the final whistle blew. Again Swindon Town suffer another harsh defeat and now find themselves 3 points from safety heading into a tough tough game against Leeds United at Elland Road.

FT: Colchester United 3 – Swindon Town 2